Monday, February 27, 2023

CRYPTKEEPER: Tales from the Crypt Model Kit '94

In 1994, Screamin' released Horror Series model kit #13, aka Cryptkeeper: Tales from the Crypt (based on the cable TV series version of the host, not the original EC comic book version.) Yes, here we have everyone's favorite putrid, pun-spoutin', cacklin' creep, flippin' through the pages of his own terror tome o'tales in a superbly spooky, soft vinyl sculpt, (comes with real hair too), and stands over 14" tall once you've fully assembled him. The box art is nicely done on all sides too, and the instructions come with images of the original EC host version, as well as some color cover images, mail order cards, etc. Another sweet fiend-- errr, find, I mean! Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee...


5 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

All the original EC stuff they've included is Jack Davis, right? That's interesting. I love that this kit comes with wee little comic book covers for inside the book. I suppose that's to look like the old tome is some kind of hardback omnibus edition or whatever (I'd buy it!), but to me it looks more like a scene out of the Little Rascals or something: Some kid looking at comics when he's supposed to be reading the bible or doing math.

This is a great model, but it feels like a little bit of a missed opportunity not to sculpt the Crypt Keeper seated. One of the best things about the original HBO intros are the well designed and scrupulously cluttered horror sets surrounding the star puppet, and I think they could have done brisk business with dioramas to accessorize this kit.

JMR777 said...

Just to followup on what Mr. Calvin said, with 3 D printing a clever model maker can re-create The Crypt Keeper in all his horrible HBO glory, seated or otherwise.

It might even be possible to make a 3D Jack Davis version come alive/rise from the crypt.
I myself must pass on the 3D printing idea, my computer is nearing the end of its lifespan, and the smell of melting plastic irritates my sinuses and throat.

Brian Barnes said...

That's an interesting collection of clip art -- I get the Jack Davis art but the Al Feldstein covers? When there's so many iconic Davis covers and he's the artist most associated with the Crypt Keeper? That's just kind of weird!

When you see that version of the Crypt Keeper's head all alone it looks exactly like Henrietta from Evil Dead II. Put a long neck on 'em and I'd easy mistaken them for each other!

Mr. Karswell said...

I actually think this is a refreshing pose for the Cryptkeeper, as a few of the other CK things I own already feature him seated. Oh well...

A visit to numbskull city up next.

Mr. Cavin said...

Oh I definitely did not mean to come off as disparaging. This is an excellent model. And I'm not familiar enough with other TALES products to know what is the norm. I just want to see lots of awesome miniature horror sets!