Sunday, February 12, 2023

Antique Cherub Mantle Clock

Found this gorgeous old mantle clock last week for next to nothing, and knowing equally nothing about clocks, I set out to research it via the Googles. Discovering many in the same, awesomely ornate nouveau era style (cherub clocks seemed to be quite popular back then) but found none fitting this exact design, unfortunately, it's made of metal, and seriously weighs a ton for it's smallish size. The clock mechanism doesn't seem to work anymore, (as if it's wound too tight or something), but overall condition for the rest of the piece seems to be perfect. I thought maybe the bent arrow was an issue, but I did find some other similar old clocks online which also display the arrow in the manner. Speaking of the arrow, and with Valentine's Day right around the corner, I guess this makes my cute little cherub actually Cupid, eh?







5 comments:

JMR777 said...

Thats a real nice find. My suggestion, don't try to get it fixed, leave it be and let the future owner pay for the repair or end up breaking it.

Those who still repair clocks are few and far between since digital clocks took over, so let it stay as it is.

If nothing else, you now have the seed of an idea for a horror tale- the clock that dooms its owner if they try to get it running again.

Mr. Cavin said...

That really is interesting. Well sculpted, well cast. I don't know anything about clocks either!

Brian Barnes said...

That arrow vs where 12 is really throws off my OCD!

That's a really nice people. I wonder what it looked like day 1 when it was all shiny. There's a lot of fine work in that, and I like the scroll work on the face.

Mr. Karswell said...

Definitely getting it fixed, it'll be scaring me and all the really nice people (??!!) awake in no time!

UP NEXT: A Valentine's Day Masssss--querade ball. And more!

Tom said...

You can't really wind a clock too tightly, as long as you don't break the main spring. It was probably wound and just isn't running. It may just need a good cleaning, but I would have that professionally done. CLocks require special cleaners and oils.