Saturday, September 1, 2018

Sightseeing in and Around Los Angeles (1950)

A cute map full of lovely Bob Moore cartoon art makes up the centerfold of the September 14th - 21st, 1950 issue of KEY Publication, a small, yet very helpful digest sized magazine guide (published every Thursday) that's filled to the brim with arts, entertainment, food, tourism, etc, --a general what's happening around Los Angeles, CA. Love that key mermaid, and the Frontier Town cowboy 'n his hoss. Anyone up for some yodelin' in the Santa Monica Mountains?



   (CLICK TO ENLARGE!)

6 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Good ol' Old Mexico.

This is great. You now, I've never been to LA (well, I've been to the airport), and it's nice to see a thing that simplifies the landmarks down to their relationships to one another. So that's where Malibu is. So there's Hollywood and Vine.

This is pretty nerdy, but I'm thinking about taking a birthday vacation there next October (in '19). It'll double as Blade Runner tourism. I'll need a more detailed map to find the old Bunker Hill tunnel and the Bradbury Building and other shooting locations.

Also, it'll put me in a town with repertory horror movie programs, something Lima lacks.

Mr. Karswell said...

Well, I don’t live there anymore, but I can certainly hook you up with plenty of sight seeing hot spots, great places to eat, and of course horror film locations for sure!

anthrax2525 said...

Big Daddy Ed Roth worked at Knott's Berry Farm as a sign painter and artist in the 70s, and Derek Riggs did Halloween event art for them in the 90s.

Mr. Karswell said...

Cool, I didn’t know that. When I first looked at this map I was wondering why they didn’t put Disneyland on there, but in 1950, it was still 5 years away from opening!

anthrax2525 said...

True, but you could always hit The Brown Derby for lunch and star-spotting. ;)

Mr. Karswell said...

*gone yodelin’!!!