Monday, March 6, 2023

Funhouse Mirror '52

Who needs a carnival when in 1952 Kenner Products provided us all with our very own, unbreakable, twisty-warpy, portable, hand held funhouse mirror! Yep, it's the mirror that makes faces at you! I tried a few and not a single photo of my own stupid mug looked nearly as silly as the great illustrations featured on the backside of the mirror. And whoa nelly, am I mistaken, or did we just figure out where some of John Carpenter's The Thing creature design came from? 

3 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

Never heard of this, that's a pretty cool idea, actually, though the modern kids have an app for that (get off my front lawn you kids!!!)

They really went for the "unbreakable" angle, didn't they? I bet a lot of kids probably proved that wrong!

JMR777 said...

Something like this could still be made and sold in an outfit like Archie McPhee.

As I have said before, you always find the coolest stuff, Karswell.

Mr. Cavin said...

That "six-eyes" spectacles guy on the box would make such a great profile pic. What a great idea for a toy. I'd love to line my 1/6th scale video arcade with those. Is the mirror frame made of tin or cardboard? It certainly has held up really well, regardless.

That's a great picture of Rob Bottin.