Thursday, August 18, 2022

Universal Studios Mug '88

Speaking of man-made monsters, check out my new ceramic Universal Studios Florida mug from 1988, containing two of my all time favorite man-made monsters-- King Kong, and Jaws, aka Bruce the Shark! If that ain't enough awesome on one mug, also note it contains illustrated imagery from Psycho, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, ET, and Earthquake! It even features two of my favorite animated Hanna Barbera characters-- Fred Flintstone and Yogi Bear! I guess I shouldn't leave out "Murder, She Wrote" even though I've never watched a single episode of it in my life, but yeah, that's still one magnificent mug for $3, eh? Excellent condition too!

7 comments:

top_cat_james said...

Guess the Florida location didn't have a Babs to ask for.

Brian Barnes said...

That's a cool mug!

It looks like King Kong is proud of his recent purchase on eBay, a real Murder She Wrote typewriter!

Mr. Cavin said...

I was a little surprised to see Earthquake! on there, but then I remembered that this cup is advertising the rides, not the films. Then I wondered whether there had ever been an earthquake ride in California--it's a little on-the-nose--and it turns out there was! Sheesh. I wonder if they have a wildfire ride in the works?

Nice cup. So very eighties.

Mike said...

Am I missing something? I thought Universal Florida opened in 1990. Is this a pre-opening mug?

Phillyradiogeek said...

Awesome find! Take care of that one!

Mr. Karswell said...

I honestly have no idea, but as you can all see, the mug is dated 1988

Mike said...

I just found out that although the theme park didn't open until 1990, the backlot, which started out as a working studio, was available for filmmakers. They originally intended Psycho 4 to be the first movie shot there using the Bates house and motel sets, but filming was pushed back to 1990.