Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hello Dere!

I remember receiving a Halloween card (this one) as a kid in the 70's, and making the startling revelation (on my own) that the funny witch on the front was drawn by the same guy who also illustrated some of my favorite stories in MAD Magazine: Paul Coker Jr. So sticking with the greeting card theme of the month, though not assigned to any particular holiday, here are the remaining Coker highlights from my copy of HELLO DERE! or, a funny thing happened to me on the way to the mailbox", a squarebound / perforated collection of 25 correspondence (post)cards featuring Coker's unmistakably unique lettering style, linework, and characters.












(BACKSIDE)

5 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Because of Rankin / Bass, I always assumed Coker was the most widely known of all the Mad artists--whether the audience actually knew his name or not. Neat postcard book! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

There is no one else on Earth like Coker! Thank you so much for posting these!

Amber Von Felts said...

Ha! I like the "its always darkest before it goes completely black" one. Classic.

Mr. Karswell said...

>Because of Rankin / Bass, I always assumed Coker was the most widely known of all the Mad artists

You're probably right Mr C, even an art novice can indentify his great work.

>There is no one else on Earth like Coker! Thank you so much for posting these!

My pleasure Anon!

>I like the "its always darkest before it goes completely black" one. Classic.

"Classic" is a good word for him Amber, every single bit of everything he does takes me right back to my childhood.

Thanks for the comments!

Anonymous said...

"every single bit of everything..." and everything else too!