Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Adventures of Captain X and Mr. Z etc.

Okay, feels like the commentors are sorta tiring out on the Valentine card posts, so here's one final batch (paired down from what I had intended) ...just 3 really nice examples with fun illustrations, and each containing bonus props like: a flicker swatch of a deep sea diver battling an octopus, a sheep dog with creepy mirror eyes, and a swinging tiger cut-out purrin' for a kiss. I hope everyone enjoyed these vintage cards from my collection, see ya next February with more!


1.




2.


3.

6 comments:

Amber Von Felts said...

Captain X and Mr. Z are brilliant! This is just a Wes Anderson film waiting to happen. A sea dog beagle and a mysterious looking owl embark on zany adventures?! Sign me up! I think the souless sheepdog is kindof creepy. Are you supposed to put your own eyes behind his? Not that that would make it less creepy! I think the adult card at the bottom is cute too. This was a nice set to end on. Happy February!

Mr. Cavin said...

What, the sheepdog's eye's are mirrors, right? It's creepy with blacked-in eyes, like here; but I'll bet it's just as creepy with aviator shades.

Love the cards! Sorry you're cutting it short. I've really enjoyed the whole month.

Mr. Karswell said...

>This is just a Wes Anderson film waiting to happen.

Ha, no kiddin'... I wonder if there are more holiday cards featuring these guys? I must investigate!!

The sheep dog eyes inside are actually mirror reflective, just didnt scan very good, sorry!

I'm done with he VD cards, but have a post of other card types still to come this month-- don't go away!

Mina Lobo said...

I can't swear to it, but I think I've seen that last card, with the jug of wine/loaf of bread business in person...late 80s, maybe? It *really* seems familiar...

evellean said...

Very funny)) And also original and professionally)
You have a nice blog) I'm subscript;)

Mr. Karswell said...

I'm pretty sure this one is much earlier than the 80s Mina, but of course alot of times card companies reuse old card art over and over for new generations... especially ones they had success with.

Thanks for the comments!