Wednesday, August 12, 2026

The Hanky Trio

It's been a box-filled month so far here at AEET, (see the previous few posts concerning shoes and pencils), --and now it's time for yet another question: "Where are you going to store your handkerchiefs?!" I suppose this is less of a storage box though, and really more of a fancy, faux framed way to display three hankies. The gorgeous lid art painting by renowned, turn of the century, comic strip artist, painter, and sheet music illustrator, Frederick S. Manning is repeated once more inside the box. And here we find slits in the design being utilized as a way to tuck and fold the handkerchiefs inside and actually make them look as if they are part of the dresses worn by our trio of beauties. Pretty clever, eh? I'm not sure about the actual age of this box, but I'm going to take a guess and say possibly the 1920's - 30's.

3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Hey that's pretty neat. Any guess on whether those are the original hankies from the box?* They color coordination is certainly quite good either way. My Marvel Superheroes handkerchiefs from the seventies would not work half so well.

*I realize here at the end of the comment that I'm just assuming this was initially sales packaging for handkerchiefs. But I guess it might have been for something else--swatches, maybe--or just a cute counter display.

JMR777 said...

I'm always surprised how well some items are preserved after so many decades of existence. Was this box tucked away and then forgotten, or was it gently cared for by its original owner?

The colors are slightly brighter on the lid compared to the inside picture. I would have thought it would have been the other way around.

Another great find, thanks for sharing with us.

Brian Barnes said...

Those are way too nice to be covered with my snot when I get the ick!

I really like this art. The floor almost looks like blood, the dancing woman is facing forward but the other two are either wishing to be her or jealous of her. The figures really pop against the background, especially in color choice. It's a great image!