I was gonna add this to the end of the previous "back to school" shoe box post, but then totally forgot, because of course, --and just as important as new school shoes, begs this ever important question: "What're ya gonna put your new pencils in?" Well, it appears that back in the day, Doreen Friedmeyer of North County STL MO put hers in this amazing tape dispenser pencil case shaped like a school bus! How cool is this thing anyway? Pencils, tape, and I feel like there's still enough room inside on the left for a couple of Pop Tarts. Doreen, if you're still out there somewhere, drop us a line here at AEET and fill us in on what you've been up to!
4 comments:
That pencil case is in great condition, it is better made than the cheapy pencil cases I had back in my school days long, long ago. This is the first time I have seen a combination pencil case and tape dispenser.
It's lovely to be reminded there was a time--surely before I was even born--in which things like this could be acts of individual creativity and not merely licensed from other popular IPs. I'm sure that, even when this was new, there were probably other pencil cases with popular cartoon characters and pop idols, but it's nice to see there was room for this generic thing, too. I like the art. I'm surprised the design doesn't use the natural circle shape of the wheel to hold the tape, though.
The ironic thing, of course, is that I am partially to blame for generic products like this falling by the wayside. I would have certainly passed this over for a Moonbase Alpha or Six Million Dollar Man tape dispenser when I was just starting out. I probably would do that today, too.
My pencil -- more like junk box -- was just a box. This actually has compartments and a place for tape. Fancy! Doreen must have been one of the rich kids :)
I love the illustration, the kids all have the same expression as if they aren't going to school but some kind of experimental lab growing a lot of clones.
Of course, that'd be the comic book I'd draw during class instead of paying attention, so it all comes together!
Indeed. My “pencil case” as a kid was a 60’s King Edward mild tobacco cigar box
Post a Comment