Sunday, July 16, 2023

WHAM-O Water Wiggle

If you survived the shark attack of our last post (HERE!), and are still lookin' for some wet 'n wild fun on a hot afternoon in July like today, look no further than the imaginative minds at WHAM-O to think up a wonderfully weird (and unfortunately / sadly deadly) summertime, sea serpent toy classic-- the Water Wiggle! Powered by your garden hose, when the water was turned on The Wiggler erupted into action-- flying around and hosin' you, and everything, down! Check out the hilariously adorable 60's commercial to see it go-- HERE! And if you've never seen the original Water Wiggle display box, --which is actually the point of this post -- it's completely covered in super 60's cartoon kid graphics that I photographed from every side! Take a look:

4 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Hey, I had one of these when I was coming up. They were a blast! It's terrible to learn that a couple of kids were killed by them. Apparently, if the soft rubber cups were removed, there was a hard plastic hook underneath. Shudder. Glad I was one of the lucky ones.

I do not remember the commercial or the excellent product illustrations. Man, that was some great logo design lettering.

Brian Barnes said...

What?? Kids died from this?? I had no idea! That's ... so unexpected. 2 children, both of them getting it stuck in their mouths. I had one of the Battlestar Colonial Fighter toys and I could see that being dangerous but I would have never thought in a hundred years this would be the cause of two unfortunate deaths.

The graphics are cool, though!

Brian Barnes said...

OK that commercial shows it wrapping itself around at least two people's necks! That thing is a killer!

John said...

I remember these and the TV commercials, too. Great fun during a hot summer's day. Hard to go wrong with a Wham-O product!