Monday, May 2, 2022

Profile Collection by Decter

I typically shy away from sharing images from other web sources, but having recently stumbled upon an incredible Facebook group called Purfex Mannequins, I just had to change my rules a bit, --especially when seeing the catalog pages of the beautiful, vintage "Profile Collection" girls by Decter! By now, most people that follow this blog also know that I collect vintage mannequins, and I actually have a few Decters in my collection as well. In fact, I believe one of mine may be a combination of Style 477 and L708 shown below! But wow, I really love the way they dressed the mannequins for these brochure / catalog pages, and the lovely make-up and wigs-- it's all just simple, breathtaking purfexion to me. This is the way I remember mannequins looking when I was a kid, not like the faceless, blank, lifeless, all white / headless travesties haunting department stores these days. This was totally how you sold fashion at one time too: dynamic, unique human characters modeling the items in highly attractive, very eye pleasing ways. Many arguments can be made for why shopping malls across the US are slowing closing down and dying altogether. I would be quick to add the lack of gorgeous, and realistic mannequins to that argument list...

5 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

It looks like there's enough frames that you could cut this out and make some decent motion gifs from them!

The top row really looks like a bowling sequence: (1) just threw the ball (2) waiting for results (3) damn it's a spare!

Style 470 is the Naruto run!

Mr. Cavin said...

This is so cool. Leotards and belts is way more adventuresome looking than leotards and sashes. I love realistic mannequins, but I really dig stylized mannequins, too.

JMR777 said...

Mannequin mania, perfect!

Craftypants Carol said...

It's interesting - some of the mannequins - esp the ones in the first few images - look like they could be barbie dolls. Like if I just saw the pics and didn't know what they were I'd totally think they were 6 inches tall.

Mr. Karswell said...

If I can someday find one of these mannequins, I will absolutely be dressing her in this black leotard style as well. I kind of prefer the belt over the sash though.

Thanks for the comments :) More mannequin madness up next!