Thursday, July 30, 2026

Christmas in July Edition (1954)

Ho! We almost exited the month without our annual Christmas in July celebration! And it's a good thing I spotted this fabulous xmas '54 mailer yesterday-- because unlike St. Nick, I was definitely coming to town unprepared! A fun package all 'round too, and if you were somehow part of the Abbott Laboratories family, you probably looked very much forward to getting this thing in the mail every December. And aside from being packed with fiction, poetry, articles and medical features-- it's also exploding with festively gorgeous, midcentury xmas artwork by some of the biggest names in commercial art of the time era! So yeah, as much as I love that superb, full-page Santa VI-DAYLIN advert by Stan and Jan Berenstain, as well as the brilliantly colorful cover abstracts by Thomas Vroman, it's those hilarious illustrations by Larry Klein for "A Short Guide to Good Skiing" that we'll actually be taking a much closer look at. And okay, it might already be 90 degrees here in the midwest at 8am in the morning, but we're still bundlin' up and heading for the slopes --Dead Man's Hill, to be exact! Merry Christmas (in July), everyone!


10 comments:

JMR777 said...

Christmas in July-
It just seems fitting to celebrate Christmas in July, all the while Michael's is offering its Halloween decor for sale after July 4th. It reminds me of the Charlie Brown Easter special where Sally comments its Easter and the store has its Christmas decorations set up.

My favorite is the skier with the barrel around his neck. He isn't going to wait around for a St. Bernard to find him, he will regain his strength with a little liquid refreshment on his own, whether he gets lost or not.

This was a colorful treat from days, and decades gone by, thanks!

Brian Barnes said...

I like the collage art, with its heavy outer lines, light inner lines, and cut and paste clothes. Neat!

I think the broken foot one is my favorite, that's an incredibly painful looking picture!

Charlotte said...

I have never received a singular piece of mail as exciting as this one in my entire life. Gah the colors and design are everything!! Amazing find for this here merry lil Christmas in July we have on our hands. Ho ho ho, Mr. Karswell!

Mr. Cavin said...

Wow, yeah, those Larry Klein illustrations are all really great. What an artful way to incorporate the process color as a function of the design. I think I like the lady with the broken foot the best, but they are all so good.

The musical instruments are pretty super too. I especially like both sides of the mandolin art. Or it's a lute? How's the song go? ♫ Eleven luters luting ♪♪

Mr. Karswell said...

Still available too (see vendor 70 booth in the mag racks!)

Mr. Karswell said...

> ♫ Eleven luters luting ♪♪.

♫ “Fiiiive broken feeeeet…” ♪♪

Mr. Karswell said...

With or without a St Bernard, pour yourselves a toast to Xmas in July, or the last day of July finally… whatever it takes to get your favorite present unwrapped! See everyone in August for lots more, and thanks for all the continued great comments :)

Craftypants Carol said...

Holy crap this is awesome! I can't believe they used to send this sort of thing out for free.

I love the barrel guy too but mostly because of his snazzy orange ensemble and shades

Mr. Karswell said...

I guess my fave is the guy warmin his mitts by the fire

James Conder said...

What's the copyright date for A Short Guide to Good Skiing?