Sunday, June 16, 2024

Nude Book Ends

A few photos of the lovely art deco bookend twins that I picked up the other day, likely created by Frankart in the 20's or early 30's, and sculpted in the very popular, superbly simplified Max le Verrier cast bronze design and cold painted color style. It's weird, when viewed separately they feel like they're identical, but when you put them together side by side they suddenly appear to have differences that are oddly hard to pin-point. Also note, these are the pix I took in my car the day I found them, and they somehow still look better than the ones I took after I got 'em home and cleaned off all the antique mall dust they're covered in. It's all about the subtle details in proper lighting...

4 comments:

Peteski said...

take all my money!

Brian Barnes said...

I see what you mean -- they do look different but I can't tell you why -- I think it's wear and tear and dirt and grime that is giving the false impression of differences ... it's real uncanny valley!

Very pretty figures, that's a real find!

Mr. Cavin said...

It's funny that you mention it, because I too spent a lot of time looking at these images trying to decide if the differences were were angles and light, or if they were actually sitting in slightly different ways. I still think it looks like one is leaning back a bit more, or maybe her hips farther forward. But maybe it wouldn't look that way at all if I saw them lined up exactly the same. I mean, why on earth would this have been sculpted twice, but almost without variation? That'd be bonkers.

Lovely stuff. How much do they weigh?

Mr. Karswell said...

They don’t really weigh much, they’re hollow too