Thursday, November 2, 2023

Bill Layne "Greetings" Calendar (1949)

From a scary Scream Queen to some sizzlin' cream dreams, we once again enter into a new month of everything else in the Karswell Kollection, too! And okay, I had planned on saving this for an AEET New Years day post this coming January, but then remembered there's never really a bad time for posting pretty pin-up art. And this was an absolute amazing find for me recently after much antique mall diggin'-- another lovely --and most importantly, COMPLETE-- late 40's cutie "Greetings" calendar of cartoon gals, all illustrated by the one and only, Bill Layne. We tend to typically see tons of Elvgren and Vargas art from this time era, but one of my other favorites is good ol Layne, who was, of course, much much more than just a fabulous background artist for Disney (CLICK HERE for more info!), as you will soon testify while scrolling through all of the darlingly delicious dames below...

3 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

I love the random dogs, even in situations where my first thought is "hey dress better if you are going mountain climbing and don't take the dog!"

I like the x-ray bathtub, that's some fine conceptual work of getting the geometry right.

I also like the ice skating one, the cute dog in the barrel and how the ... snowballs?? ... trail her. It's a very static image but the snowballs give it some motion.

I wonder if Frank J Doretti of F.D.'s Liquors got his moneys worth on this!

Mr. Cavin said...

I really like that kooky see-through child-sized tub. I also really dig the actual calendar grids, with their moon phases and little illustrations for special days. Only fish on Fridays!

JMR777 said...

I had never seen Bill Layne's work before, so this was a nice surprise. His pin up girls are unique with a realistic look with a touch of cartoon added to them.

I wonder if this is the first appearance of the sad eyed dog icon seen in prints and paintings decades ago.