Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Prince Mascot Pirate (60's, NSK)

I don't know anything about Prince Mascot, (is he a product mascot? cartoon character? help!) --though I did see a number of these NSK figures while hustling around Japan toy stores last year. So then imagine my surprise after walking into an antique mall here in STL MO just last week and finding one IN THE ORIGINAL BOX, and priced super affordably even! Made of felt and styrofoam, a googley eye badly glued on, and two dingle balls a'danglin' from thin beaded chains, it's kind of cheap, yeah, but oh so fun and funny with a wonderful sense of pirate toy kitsch that follows over to the skull 'n crossbones, pirate ship, and shades of blue wave package design. The back o'box blurb translates to: "In your car! In your room! To present of friends! Prince Mascot is your pet!" A little online research and I found another, differently themed "nerd" version of him on Etsy for sale (HERE), which labels him as a novelty car accessory. This explains the suction cup / string hanger on his back, as apparently you're supposed to fix him to an automobile window and then as you drive around he does a little dance. I think I'll keep mine on the card, and tucked away within that beautiful box-- tis be fragile enough as is for a novelty toy that's half a century old-- YARRR!















Does anyone have additional info, or pix of any other Prince Mascot toys? Let me know!

2 comments:

JMR777 said...

I had no luck finding this online, maybe it was Japan's answer to the bobble headed dog or hula dancer that found their home on the dashboard or rear windows of American Cars.

Mr. Cavin said...

Yeah, it's new to me too--though I'm certainly not any kind of expert on Japanese toys. I really love the box!