Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Enjoy Your Fun Factory

Digging around in some old comics recently, I found this super cool Play-Doh Fun Factory booklet, dated 1960. Super cute artwork is the real highlight here, plus the booklet still smells like Play-Doh-- which is one of my all-time favorite aromas --and one whiff takes me right back to my childhood! I have to admit, I'm not at all familiar with Wood-Doh listed on the last page, or the fact that this stuff also came in metal canisters. Also, "Extruder Dies" should be a band name.









3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Wow yeah, I've never even heard of Wood-Doh before today. I can find some photos of the cans and packaging online, but I can't seem to find any pictures of what it might have looked like.

This is a really interesting brochure. I don't think it would have ever occurred to me to make buildings and things out of Play-Doh. I mean, for one thing I had Legos and Lincoln logs and Erector Sets and other structure-making toys. Making squared-off construction materials out of soft, brightly colored Play-Doh seems pretty counter intuitive. Also, leaving the stuff out on purpose to dry. I mean, making permanent models out of Play-Doh didn't occur to me because letting the stuff dry out was a wasteful mistake that ruined my toy. Later, I traded up to brightly colored modelling clay that would not dry out no matter how long you left it out.

Now all I want to do is try to make a building out of this stuff. I'll need to get some, though. And the brochure is kind of unhelpful for this kind of thing: "Making a Mansion! Take Play-Doh brand modelling compound and extrude it through Fun Factory dies 1, 2, 5, 8-12. Cut to the proper lengths. Fit pieces together into a mansion. Enjoy!"

JMR777 said...

I second what Mr. Calvin said, never heard of Wood-Doh either. Maybe it was one of the few flops of the Play-Doh line.

Concerning Play-Doh as jewelry, maybe Play-Doh was the inspiration for Precious Metal Clay for making jewelry.

anthrax2525 said...

I wonder if Wood-Doh was chemically related to Plastic Wood filler.