Monday, August 2, 2010

The Grossest Book of World Records #1

I was a mere 9 years old in 1977 when Mel Cebulash's "The Grossest Book of World Records #1" first caught my eye, the pulsating title there in front of me on the J.C. Penney book rack. Having already lived a number of years on a steady diet of Mad Magazine and fart 'n weiner jokes with my friends, this book seemed to be calling my name, and one look at Steve Miller's hilarious artwork inside completely sealed the deal. Over 100 barf-inducing pages of truly disgusting entries, below is just a handful of "highlights." So find yourself a used copy somewhere and even you can revolt your friends and family with facts like these... be the GROSSEST person on your block!










4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the memories! I remember this book with much fondness. I guess we are about the same age then Karswell. I need to find a copy of this now for sure just to see the Booger Flicking entry again!

Thank you!

Todd Franklin said...

Oh what a gross book. I love it! Yeah, I never had this as a kid, but I'm sure it would have been one of my favorites. Btw, I dig the new banner.

Mr. Karswell said...

>to see the Booger Flicking entry again!

Trust me Anon, it's still just as wonderfully disgusting as it was when you were a kid.

>Btw, I dig the new banner.

Thanks Todd!

Mr. Karswell said...

UPDATE! Mel himself has written into AEET with a bit of news concerning his GROSS classic, as well as an upcoming project! Check it out:

"...there were two books, and there were other versions published in Great Britain and Germany. Scholastic published a version in one of its book clubs in the 90s. I am working on a series of short pieces falling under the main title of Gross Lives and intend to publish them individually on Kindle."

Can't wait! Thanks again for writing Mel!