Saturday, August 7, 2010

Clutch Cargo...TV Story

I've always found it strange that Clutch Cargo never had his own official comic book series... it's possible he appeared as a back-up feature in some other mag and maybe I'm just not aware of it, though both Oversteet and GCD (as of now) have nothing listed. But the February 1961 issue of Jack and Jill (Vol. 23, #4) has this fun little tale "introducing / promoting" Clutch, Spinner, and Paddlefoot in their latest "TV adventure." You know, I'm surprised this issue didn't come with a full-page Clutch mask with a cut-away mouth so you could put it on and imitate the goofball "Syncro-Vox" process, but maybe they did it elsewhere back then on a cereal box or something...









Plus, some other fun bonuses from this issue!

6 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

Karswell: Clutch Cargo!?!?!? Man, you keep hitting all the right retro notes, don't you? I remember this cartoon and how much I loved it (and my father hated it for those strange mouths - he used to grimace as though seeing something obscene).

This is very nicely drawn comic into the bargain. Great post!

Mr. Karswell said...

Well, I'll admit the Syncro-Vox process is pretty silly looking too, but I guess it helped Cambria Studios save a few bucks in animation and churn out some otherwise decent cartoons. I totally dig the character designs and backgrounds from that series though (same for Space Angel and Captain Fathom.) The DVD company I art directed for put out collections from these series (and I had the great Patrick Owsley do the cover art) ...apparently all of the episodes have fallen into the public domain.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A HUGE STACK OF THESE JACK AND JILL MAGS IN MY BASEMENT........THEY HAVE GOOD STUFF IN THEM BUT NONE HAVE ANY CLUTCH CARGO COMICS.

Prof. Grewbeard said...

this is neat-o and i remember the actual episode too...

KW said...

that's some fine ink work on that CC story

Mr. Karswell said...

I suspect this is nothing more than an ad for the Clutch Cargo TV show and not really a comic feature as it initially appears to be. Or, maybe it's both.

Thanks for the comments!