Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Toyland 1960 (Part Two)

Time for the last half of the 1960 Toyland xmas catalog from Famous Barr (STL.) While the first half focused on toys for boys, the last 15 pages are a bit more geared for the girls, although there's still some stuff for the dudes (or maybe the tomboys?!) I have to admit that I'm insane for the TV character toys (love the vinyl Dennis the Menace and Ruff on page 18!) and especially the hilarious Hanna-Barbera mockeries (p.24!) They can shove that Casper on page 28 where the sun don't shine though... and man, how great is (J) Boxer on the same page--- he's already got the cutest black eye I ever saw!

















I hope everyone enjoyed this amazing time capsule glimpse into 1960 xmas dreams!

9 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Dude. I could totally blow, like, almost a hundred bucks here. I would totally get my kid a coaster horse. What could possibly go wrong? I wish that thirty-two inch burro had skateboard wheels, too.

You are completely right about Caspar, though. It looks very much like they just re-tasked all of fifty-nine's leftover Snoopy toys into everybody's favorite poor little dead boy. A little computer magic (and ears) and you get a dead ringer.

Pierre Fournier said...

Casper is a piece of work, but Happy Puppy will give me nightmares.

Prof. Grewbeard said...

what an overload, i couldn't possibly comment on everything here(but i want that drum set!)...

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the Marionette Stage on page 21, and I haven't heard the word "freezurboard" in ages. The description for the Dick puppet is funny: a 9-11 year old American boy. Does this mean he comes with a shoe bomb?

Mr. Karswell said...

What's amazing to me is the amount of stuff from this catalog that is actually still in production vs the items that are long long extinct. I mean who would ever imagine something like Fisher-Price's Corn Popper (pg 28) outliving something like Mr. Machine or the Astro Base (both on page 15.) Just goes to prove, keep it simple, kids like it that way.

Crafty C said...

do they still make the corn popper? i'm pretty sure i had that. and i totally forgot about the Landscape Peg Set (D on the second to last page) until i saw it just now! i def had one of those - even though i wasn't a housebound child. but man, that plastic Hobnail Milkglass Tea Set is freaking amazing! i've never seen one like that! cool!

Mr. Karswell said...

They definitely still make the corn popper

Slayla said...

This is the dream toy half! I love the Dennis and the off model cartoon characters.

Mr. Karswell said...

I knew you’d love that stuff! My friend Dave has that Dennis doll but won’t deal it to me