Sunday, October 27, 2024

Hairy & Scary Hippy Hag vs. Hobo (with Derby)

On the same day I found a Ben Cooper Hairy & Scary Were Wolf box (unfortunately empty), I also found a crazy looking hippy hag mask with real hair. So yeah, I cheated and put that funny, flower-power lookin' Phyllis Diller face inside the Hairy & Scary monster box, until someday when I find the appropriate H&S wolf man mask to replace her. Actually, any of the masks from this super 70's Halloween costume series would be great to have, as you can see from all of the wild illustration examples featured on the lid and sides of the box below. A friend of mine asked if those were actually unlicensed KISS masks, haha and now I can't see 'em any other way.

Then! the day after finding all of this cool stuff, I stumbled upon a way overpriced 60's Collegeville Hobo costume in a sadly destroyed box. As a kid, I never understood why anyone would want to be a hobo for Halloween when you could be Ultraman or the Creature from the Black Lagoon, but looking at the face now with much older eyes I can honestly say I love that design. Even better though are all of the dynamite details on the box lid: bats, witches, pitchforked devil, and an astronaut with a Misfits devilock (or would that technically be referred to as an Astro Zombie?) But possibly the greatest part of this Collegeville kit was finding the original Ben Franklin store receipt still in the box, revealing that this medium sized HOBO (with DERBY) was purchased on October 27th, 1965. Who else misses the old Ben Franklin stores?

No comments: