Friday, September 27, 2024

Sears, Roebuck, & Co. Mannequin Models (1939)

I recently picked up a Fall / Winter 1939-1940 Sears, Roebuck and Co. catalog, highlighted by an entire chapter of beautiful vintage mannequins modeling ladies undergarments. As much as I love mannequins, (and some of you know I do), I still thought it was a little odd. So I flipped through a few other catalogs in my collection (some even older than this one), and while not seeing mannequins, it was apparent by all of the illustrated images of ladies in slips and nighties, that yes indeed, not many actual LIVE flesh and blood models were used for this sort of private fashion exhibition back in the day. Of course, it may not be true for all department store catalogs, but still interesting none the less, with many of the mannequins resembling famous Hollywood glamour queens and popular pin-ups of the era, not to mention the hairstyles, and alluring attitude.

No comments: