Thursday, June 18, 2020

Barkeeper! A Toothpick, Please!

It's about time I added a singing bartender toothpick holder to my kitchen kitsch collection, and here's a wonderful, ceramic 60's example I found yesterday-- and made in Japan too! He's about 5 inches high, (but looks much larger in these photos), and if I had some toothpicks I'd be sure to add them into the holder container just below his right elbow. I truly love everything about this thing, his funny little mouth, the stocked shelf behind him, the overflowing beers on his tray... everything perfectly painted to match the colors of my kitchen! My $4 find of the week :)



7 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

I like the backdrop a lot too. I would have thought those were ice cream floats. But maybe that's just because I would really like to have an ice cream float right about now.

Brian Barnes said...

I have to second on the ice cream floats, that would have been my first thought. I love his rosy cheeks!

Mr. Karswell said...

Well, I hate beer so I would of course rather have an ice cream float as well. But. That is clearly beer. How many ice cream parlors have martini and wine glasses on their back shelf? Plus, the tag on it says "Ceramic 60's Barkeep Toothpick Holder, Japan", (just in case anyone wants to say that's a spittoon instead of a toothpick holder.)

JMR777 said...

It could be ice cream floats if the bartender/waiter works for a bar and grill and is serving non alcoholic beverages for two ladies or two of the under 21 crowd.
Hey, its your toothpick holder, make up any backstory you want, no one is going to challenge you.

Mr. Cavin said...

I've had Guinness ice cream floats before. It felt like a dare on the menu, kinda; but they were better than I thought they'd be.

Mr. Karswell said...

Okay, I'll meet you guys halfway and we'll call it rootbeer floats... how's that? haha

Craftypants Carol said...

I love those bottle and glasses behind him too! He’s so awesome!