Thursday, November 15, 2018

Outdoor Holiday Fun '66

The holidays are coming, and what better time to do an outdoor holiday fun camping post than in mid November when we midwestern MO folk just got 7+ inches of snow overnight! Booooo! But still, we can pretend like we're on Oahu or something and draw some inspiration from this handy Outdoor Holiday Fun Guide from Coleman, published in 1966. Yep, Coleman makes lanterns, and heaters, and furnaces, and griddles, and sleeping bags and other things to keep you warm 'n toasty (plus other things to keep your stuff chilled, like coolers!) Okay, everyone knows that stuff, so instead-- and in typical AEET fashion-- we're going to look at the cute key art illustrations (artist unknown) from this glorious lil booklet instead. It almost makes me wanna go camping. Almost. Or eat outdoors. Or catch an axe thrown at me. All things I would never in a million years ever do. Yes, Mr. Karswell is actually more of an indoor holiday fun kinda guy. Now you know.































7 comments:

Craftypants Carol said...

Awww! The images are all so cute! But I really love the one with the sun that has a tongue and the kids with the pie.

You must be the guy scowling at the squirrel

JMR777 said...

You can always camp in your own backyard, or living room or basement, enjoy the great indoors instead if the not so great outdoors.

Mr. Karswell said...

I’m always scowling at squirrels!!!

You’re the lady in the last scan with the rollers in her hair, Carol— of course!

Mr. Karswell said...

It’s definitely not so great outdoors around here this time of the year, for sure!

Mr. Cavin said...

I'll be the guy in the porkpie and glasses in that first drawing!

I have to admit, my idea of camping is being the only person in a closed down tourist spot in the off-season, nearly alone in a palatial luxury hotel. Yeah, I think the first half of the Shining is like some kind of wish-fulfillment fantasy. Also gotta admit I'm jealous of the snow, though (in Missouri and outside the Overlook Hotel). I love it, and I haven't seen so much as a flake for years now.

Love the gray wash in these illustrations--especially the picture of the chef and the very last two images. The buildings disappearing into the urban smog are really great.

anthrax2525 said...

While I'm liking the period illustrations, a stretch in the Army has thoroughly cured me of any and all urges to go camping.

Mr. Karswell said...

One year as a Boy Scout back in 4th grade was what did me in. Never again.