Friday, October 5, 2018

Count Morbida's Chamber of Horrors --and Puzzles!

Anyone who follows this blog knows that I love Dynamite Magazine! Seriously, any kid who was cool in the 70's and 80's read it, and if you didn't-- well then you certainly were no friend of mine! And one of my all time favorite re-occuring characters on said pages is the great Count Morbida, illustrated by the also great, Arthur Friedman. He looked like Count Chokula's crazy brudda frum anudda mudda, and he certainly knew how to deliver the fun when it came to games and puzzles. So still in full October swing, today we have a couple of the Count's puzzle pages from two 1975 issues, and as an added bonus I included the Count's foray into a very funny flexi record adventure accompanied by his ghoulish girlfriend, Horribella! Just CLICK HERE to hear it (someone else was nice enough to upload it to youtube so I don't have to!)









10 comments:

Tom said...

Loved Count Morbida (and Dynamite).There's surprisingly little information on Arthur Friedman on the internet.

JMR777 said...

We need to do a go fund me or Patreon page to bring back Count Morbida, he is too cool a character to fade into obscurity. I'm sure there are thousands of Morbida fans who would kick in a buck or two to restore the Count to his former glory.

Mr. Karswell said...

In the very least a complete book of all the Count’s Dynamite appearances!

But yeah, Tom is right— zilch info anywhere online about Arthur :/

Mr. Cavin said...

I would Kickstart a Count Morbida collection in a hot heartbeat. I love this stuff; and I still do newspaper and magazine puzzles on a daily basis exactly because this is how I grew up.

Happy October countdown, Farkleberries!

Mr. Karswell said...

Awesome! We just need a couple hundred more people to chime in and I think this Count Morbida project is a GO!

Armpit Studios said...

Good stuff! The performances and production of the record was a lot higher than I thought it would be.

Armpit Studios said...

The woman's scream at 2:01 sounds like a fairly popular sound effect.

Unknown said...

Oh man this is so awesome. I love the monsters in the panel before the record

Unknown said...

I just discovered that Archive.org has issues of Dynamite magazine, and have been spending my afternoon enjoying the nostalgia. I hadn't thought about Count Morbida in 40 years, but it all came back! He was always my favorite part of Dynamite.
I know that this is a zombie post (fitting), but I'd also happily kick in a few bucks to get more of the Count. I just ordered the puzzle book from the `70s from Amazon.

Dr. Jitters said...

Very nice! Thanks for the tip about Archive! Good ol' fun.