Saturday, July 3, 2010

Howl While You Heal by Jaffee

In 1945, the Army and Navy Department of the International Commitee of the Young Men's Christian Association (whew-- that's a mouthful!) released this hilarious pocket-sized collection of one-panel gags illustrated by S/Sgt. Abraham Jaffee (aka MAD's very own Al Jaffee.) Aimed at convalescing WWII military personel, here are all 28 gutbusters ( a few of them not very "christian" I might add) as well as the brief forward and artist intro. Happy 4th of July weekend everyone, stay safe!


















7 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

Karswell: Never has any committee of an association turned out anything so fine. Just great stuff. "There must be something I can do for you Sgt." -- Damn! Looks to me like Florence Nightingale is already lending a hand!

Mr. Karswell said...

Haha, for sure Mykal... thanks for the comment! This is great stuff, and further proof how amazing Jaffee has always been in his career.

Prof. Grewbeard said...

howl to keep from cryin', i guess...

Anonymous said...

I agree! I love Al Jaffee and never even knew the stuff existed! Thank you for posting this fantastic war time treasure!

Mr. Karswell said...

My pleasure, thanks again for the comments.

Ger Apeldoorn said...

Oh, my! I received my copy around the same time as this post and planned to scan and show it after my holidays. But you beat me to it! Where did you get your copy? Were there two on ebay at the same time? I will write Mr. Jaffee and ask him about this book. He had already told me that he worked for the convelescance unit and did a couple of booklets, but I guess he has never seen this one since then!

Mr. Karswell said...

Hi Ger,
I found my copy at a local antique mall a few months ago, I think I paid $3 for it... a dynamite find being the huge Jaffee fan that I am. Say hi to him for me!