Monday, December 3, 2012

Santa Sizzler '68 (PART 1)

I'm not sure how many posts this is gonna take yet, but here's the first section from Western Auto's fabulous Family Store Christmas Gifts ordering catalog, (from the November 10th, 1968 advertising supplement to the St. Louis Post Dispatch.) I was only 6 months old when this catalog came out, but many of the incredible items listed here could most definitely be found in my toy box in the coming years, like the Aurora Race Cars, Major Matt Mason, Johnny West, G.I. Joe, Lincoln Logs, Ouija Board, Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots etc... we have lots more toy pages for the next post too, and depending on commenter reaction, I may post even more pages (even the adult junk!) --so let me know what you think-- this catalog is over 70 pages long!

















5 comments:

Crafty C said...

Can I have the Fun-L Tun-L! And the Feeley Meeley! And a battery powered boat with a bilge pump! And the SPIROGRAPH!!! And the Tom Thumb Typewriter! Actually that last one was a joke. Heh. Please can I have a typewriter for xmas. Please.

I'd be into seeing some kitchen oriented adult goods!

This is really cool! Thanks!

Mr. Karswell said...

Ouija says YES-- YOU CAN AVE ANYTHING YOU WANT.

Crafty C said...

Thank you Ouija board!!!

Mr. Cavin said...

I never had a Ouija board. And meanwhile, over at Milton Bradley, magic was happening in the in-house art department. Surely the original box art for Twister is one of the best illustrations ever.

Man, today's catalogs have the worst shootin' iron pages. I really miss the seventies. And how cool is that constantly employed "as seen on TV" stamp? I love the idea that a retail company would validate its product by piggybacking on media ads in that way. Buy this, kids! Because it has a commercial is why!

My favorite stuff to reminisce about are the science lab sets. I am so totally not a scientist, but I always loved getting those for Christmas. All the little instruments and slides and vials of mysterious (occasionally radioactive) stuff, squeakily wedged into their own tight custom-shaped Styrofoam holes. Again, the boxes were the best part.

These are some of my favorite posts, Karswell. I'd love to see as much of the catalog as you'd want to scan.

JMR777 said...

Great stuff from the first page on, toys you wished you could have for Christmas then or now! I didn't know Marx made trains (I learn something new each time I visit ths site)
D cells 12 cents each, even if they were go dead fast never-ready type batteries, they were good enough for a day or so in the toys.

I agree with Mr. Cavin, this catalog has the feel of great items waiting for your purchase, similar to the advertising shown in the reproductions of Sears Roebuck or Montgomery Ward. I guess catalogs lost much of their power over readers as modern media changed the expectations and perception of shoppers.

I hope you will post more pages from this catalog, these pages bring back part of the joy of childhood.