Monday, December 31, 2012

Cues for Cruising

Wow, 21 posts this month! That's more than TWICE what I normally feature here in a single month, but being the holidays and all, I thought I'd give generously-- and I hope everyone has enjoyed all of this stuff. Speaking of the holidays, I have a few friends who do the smart thing this time of year: they avoid their annoying relatives and the cold weather, and they take a cruise! And if it was the late 50's and you had this expertly designed / illustrated Cunard Line Cues for Cruising booklet in hand, then you would certainly be doing it up right. What to wear, what to pack, where to shop, but most importantly-- HOW TO HAVE FUN! Maybe next year I'll say "bon voyage" to all the xmas trappings and jump ship too...










5 comments:

Crafty C said...

This is so great! I've only been on one cruise and it was pretty fun - but it was only a 3 day one.

On the next one I'll be sure and pack my playsuit and really frivolous negligee! Such good advice!

Mr. Karswell said...

I was looking into one of those KISS Cruises, but damn it's really expensive... my buddy Par just sent me a photo of his niece who was recently on a Rick Springfielld cruise, I would've dug that too!

Crafty C said...

That's funny. There's a lot of bizarre theme cruises out there. All I'd really need is a big pile of pineapple and a lounge chair by the swimming pool.

Mr. Karswell said...

My favorite line comes from the shoes and hats section: High heels will bring you to your knees.

Well, duh.

KL from NYC said...

Considering the fact that "cruising" has more than one meaning, the title is pretty funny.

The rubylith color tint overlays on the line drawings look haphazard until you try to do them yourself -- I found that out.
Some interesting ones like these show up on things like the backs of Longines Symphonette LPs.
And when Enoch Light was running Grand Award Records in the 1950s, he commissioned artists to do india ink line drawings with those colored tissue overlays -- I don't know what the product was called, but it was colored tissue with glue that you cut into shape, wet it, and then stuck it over a pen & ink sketch (couldn't be lifted). (Light later started Command Records and commissioned Josef Albers to do abstracts. People frame LP covers those now.)