Saturday, December 22, 2012

Ball-B-Q Cooking + The Thrifty Kitchen Lass

It's December. It's cold. And I'm BrrrrrBQin'! Just try to stop me *shakes fist at snowy, sleety sky* Actually, if I had it my way, I'd be Ball-B-Q'n with my Ball-B-Q "oven in the garden" --but alas, I don't have one, so instead I'll just post this entire booklet (Shepherd Casters, 1971) featuring the complete A to Z of Ball-B-Q Cooking etc. Looks neat, eh? Food looks delicious sizzlin' in it, eh? Looks like an alien christmas tree ornament, eh? Okay, there's the xmas tie-in, in case you were wondering. I've also rounded (get it?) this post out with some images of the cutely Scottish, Thrifty Kitchen lass from an old (50's?) cooking school recipe book. Isn't she adorable? I love as she leads the parading meats to their grilled and marinated doom. I imagine them singing "Let's all go to the oven!" to the tune of Let's All Go to the Lobby. Hmmm, hot or what, Thrifty Lass sure knows how to turn down the heat on that meat!












(Click to ENLARGE!)

6 comments:

Crafty C said...

The Ball-B-Q is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in my life and I need one NOW!!!!! You can bake a pie in that thing?!?!?

And I love the parade of smiling meats!

Mr. Karswell said...

Ball-B-Q obviously has some kind of alien technology deeply built into it. It's time for us as citizens to band together and force the government to uncover all this strange new food technique they've been hogging to themselves! The truth is out there-- and it smells delicious!

Brian Barnes said...

Now would actually be a good time for you to explain the professional BBQ bit. Are you associated with a BBQ company and/or restaurant? Do you tour? In summer, Kalamazoo has a rib-fest and one day I was always hoping to try some Karswell Ribs!

I've read the blog, I've heard the band, but I don't think I've had the full experience until I taste the BBQ!

I haven't smelled or touched anything Karswell, but I'm kind of glad for that :)

Mr. Karswell said...

Taste my ribs, smell the magic!

I'm not really a "pro" Brian, I just play one on the Internet.

AIRKEWLD4LIFE said...

Would you like to purchase one?

JDuB said...

I OWN a smaller one and it works really well!

Growing up, we had a larger one, which is now at my Aunt's place. Not sure if she uses it or not.

The whole thing of using 50-60 briquets is ridiculous. Just recently did a BBQ/ Direct Fire Roast of 6 chicken leg quarters (salt and pepper rub, 12hr+ in the fridge) on 12 briquettes to start, added maybe 8 more. Went for 3.5 hrs easily. Chicken was perfectly cooked, basting/ mop every 1/2hr or so with: sweet onions, chicken stock, apple cider vinegar, mustard powder, pepper, hot sauce, butter. Had a nice smokiness and the fats were rendered out.