Thursday, December 20, 2012

Howard Johnson's Children's Menu #11 (1963)

The news keeps saying that it's going to snow here in St. Louis this week, giving me the perfect opportunity to finally post this wintery themed, vintage, digest-sized Howard Johnson comic book / menu from 1963 (produced by Custom Comics) --as if the North Pole and Santa panels weren't reason enough in December! So follow along on a kookball, comedic adventure with Simple Simon and The Pieman, (anyone know the artist?), solve some puzzles while you're at it, and when you're done and built yourself up a big 'ol appetite, why not order something from the centerfold menu-- as usual, per my own childhoods spent at HoJo's-- I'll be having the grilled frankfort on toasted roll with potato chips and chocolate chip ice cream. 









13 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

I don't know the artist, but I hope someone does. It's fantastic stuff!

Chris Sobieniak said...

I feel pretty let down I was deprived of HoJo greatness since I grew up in the 80's when those restaurants were on the way out.

K. R. Seward said...

Thanks for the post.

I'm ready to play the HoJo Ice Cream game. Guess it'll have to by proxy via some extant confectioner.

Crafty C said...

So cute!

I used to have a Sambo's coloring book that I got from the restaurant when I was a kid. I think I sold it on ebay :(

Mr. Karswell said...

I saw a HoJo on a recent trip down to Branson MO and can't believe how bland the chain has become. I wasn't even aware they were still around! Everything that made them so unique seems to have evaporated :(

There's still a Sambos in Santa Barbara, Carol, I had an excellent chocolate shake there about 10 years ago. I have a few Sambo collectibles too-- some matchbooks, a postcard set, and a tee shirt!

Thanks for the comments!

Mr. Cavin said...

I guess curds and whey were already a thing of the past by the late sixties, huh? Little Miss Muffet had already moved on to more weight-conscious veggie plates with butter and bacon. Pairs nicely with two scoops of peppermint stick ice cream. Barf.

I liked the art a bunch, too.

Jeff Austin said...

The art smacks heavily of Kurt Schaffenberger.

Mr. Karswell said...

You could be right Jeff, Lambiek says he did a lot of advertising and promotional comics (toy ads, McDonalds, etc.)

Pappy said...

It sure looks like Schaffenberger to me. The oomic was produced by ACG. They had a subsidiary called Custom Comics for this sort of promotional item.

For Craftypants Carol, here's a Bicentennial Sambo's Coloring Book!

http://hairygreeneyeball3.blogspot.com/2011/07/sambos-bicentennial-coloring-book.html

Mr. Karswell said...

Your word is as good as gold, Pap, and thanks for the ACG info and Sambo link!

Crafty C said...

That's totally the one I had! Thanks Pappy!!

KL from NYC said...

I'm sure the comic and the games were fun to do, but I'd sure like to see those menu prices nowadays -- a deluxe hamburger with potatoes, vegetables, a roll, ice cream, and a drink: 90 cents!!!!

Mr. Karswell said...

No kiddin, KL!