So, however one chooses to be used 'n amused this October (yep, it's already October!), you can rest assured that AEET chooses to start the month in the exact same monstrous manner / mode as we'll likely be ending it-- with some terrifyin' tricks 'n tantalizin' treat actionz! This is one of the more unusual vintage Halco costume packages, mainly because as you can see in the scans below it also doubles as a plastic bag for your sugar saturated goodie accumulation on Halloween. Lots of fun artwork on both sides, great colors, and the portal on the back reveals that there is indeed one wickedly witchy costume inside! The last two images at the very end of this post are of another magnificently monstery mask I stumbled upon recently, --a vampire with a bat literally smashed right into his own frightful face! AIEEEE! Nice paint jobs featured on both masks here today though... I just wish the antique mall prices were better. Boo! *gack!
5 comments:
I absolutely adore that witch mask.
The sculpt is complex; the teeth, the nose, the bump under the lips, and then where shading is needed you have that cool orange/yellow/red dot work. You don't see that kind of paint job much anymore but it just springs off the mask. It's incredibly cool.
I like the bat vampire too, but he's a little more drab than the witch, but still great. A little more orange in there and it might have popped better. Frankly, the bat vampire is great but that witch is just outright awesome. Everything else fades away around it!
The other illustrations are fun, I especially like the waving skeleton and the witch that's really happy to finally see the moon!
I celebrate Halloween starting September 1 but I'll take October 1 for everybody else!
Great pieces of art, really. I used to make sure my Halloween bag was ready way in advance. Had to be prepared! And if nothing was found, we would default to a pillowcase. That was trouble, cause we wanted to FILL them.
The Halco bag is great. It gives us a glimpse of Halloween night from a few decades ago when classic costumes were the norm and movie based costumes were the exception.
As Brian noted, the witch mask is highly detailed in both paint job and molded form. The second mask looks like a vampire wearing a bat mask, perhaps it was meant to be Dracula attending a masquerade?
Thanks for posting these bags and masks from a Halloween of the past.
That's really clever, packing the costume into a treat bag. Not only is it handy, but makes a nice advertisement for Halco. You can see how that works right in the illustration on the bag itself, everybody in the neighborhood dashing about on Halloween night with their Halco brand Trick or Treat Bags™. I love the waving devil illo and the way he diminishes with each smaller depiction of the bag itself. By the bottom of the flip side, he's just wee orange blobs.
I like that skeleton kid and the happy witch on the front. Or is that a pilgrim? Look out, Thanksgiving is sneaking up behind you, kid!
I'm just as blown away by that sweet paint treatment as everybody else. That's definitely a vacuum plastic masterpiece. I'm pretty sure I haven't ever seen that before, either--and both of these masks have it. Seems likely they are both from Halco, then? I'll admit is a company I know very little about.
Utterly insufficient for 1960s Chicago Trick or Treat.
My god--a large sized shopping bag full of glucose.
No wonder I'm diabetic.
Post a Comment