Monday, September 28, 2026

KGB Creech

Here's a neat old compilation album cover I saw the other day, featuring a fun illustration (artist signature near the top right), --and highlighted with a really cool Creech appearance too!

5 comments:

JMR777 said...

Its good to see The Creature getting some respect from horror fans and the rock n roll crowd.

It seems this record was made a s a giveaway, or win it from a radio station item-

https://kimsloans.wordpress.com/tag/oldie-but-goodie-long-play-records/

Brian Barnes said...

I can't quite read the signature but I swear I've seen this artist before, in maybe crazy or cracked? I love it, I love the whole giant pile of nonsense art and it's got a great sense of scale, with the pit zooming up to the KGB label.

Had to look this up, it's a "1960s garage and psychedelic rock compilation released on a 12-inch vinyl LP as part of the Take 6 series." I guess I know where to go for my Lovin' Spoonful fix!

Mr. Cavin said...

Interesting. I got to say that the W.T. Vinson illustration on this thing is a pretty magical mashup of all the illustration styles and motifs I really love from the seventies. Vinson, born in 1939, apparently made is bones being a budget-friendly who's-who of popular illustrators in all kinds of magazines from the period--Hot Rod and National Lampoon among many others--but all I can easily find online are album covers like this one. All are super. This one from 2007, is it a reprint of a cover he did back in the day? Or was he still working at this level, and in this vernacular, when he was already pushing seventy? Doesn't matter, really. It's impressive either way; he's a very nimble illustrator. I particularly love the dude with the banana (and the Creature, of course). This dude crosshatches up there with the best of them.

JMR777 said...

Thanks for the information on W. T. Vinson, another unsung hero in the realm of comics and illustration.

Mr. Karswell said...

You guys did way more research on this than me, thank you all!