Only a few more days of Summer 2026 left, so I guess it's time to get in some last minute beach fun --without actually having to go to the beach! And digging through my pen collection (as well as Google), I'm thinking Jekyll Island sounds just about perfect, it's definitely a picture-esque coastal destination in Georgia that I have unfortunately never been to. Located about an hour and a half south of Savannah in Glynn County, Jekyll Island is one of the Golden Isles which is part of the Georgia Barrier Islands. Now, not to brag, but my cool old JI souvenir ink pen is as equally lovely, containing fun miniature graphics inside an entire clear half section of the pen casing. On one side we see the original twin, Spanish Mission style towers created in 1958 as the welcoming entrance gate to Jekyll Island State Park. Flip the pen over and we we get a frisky little bikini beach ball action scene, as well as a sizzlin' Georgia peach sun tanning session! Yeah, it's a little faded and blurry, and photographing it just wasn't as easy as one would imagine, but it's still one of my favorite pens in my collection. If you've ever been to Jekyll Island, drop us a comment and let us know what it's like. One more thing I have to admit, I am of course a bit disappointed to learn that the island itself is named after English financier, Sir Joseph Jekyll, and not the classic Robert Louis Stevenson killer character creep. I would def like to add though, --as an aspiring monster myself, --Jekyll Island sounds like the perfect place to Hyde...
7 comments:
Oh wow! I haven’t thought about Jekyll Island in a dog’s age! But growing up my grandma would take me there. We climbed every step to the top of the lighthouse and hit up a little flea market full of awesome old junk. Probably had some of these very pens in stock, in fact! That is too cool. Thanks for taking me back :)
Taking you back: it’s my job.
I kind of like the sepia toned fade -- it's great for that old timey look, and the green is still pretty vibrant.
The beachball scene looks like a scene from a fight manga, though, and somebody's about to get hit with a giant attack!
I just discovered that, in my home state of North Carolina, at the western edge of the Uwharrie National Forest and quite near the haunted old Boy Scout Camp, there is an abandoned lump of forest sticking out of Badin Lake called Graveyard Island. Apparently, back when they dammed the Yadkin River--and drowned a bunch of little towns to create the lake--they had to move all the old graves from the area up to the high ground, creating an island of tombstones once the water rose. You'll have to walk along disused railroad tracks to get there; or paddle. It's posted no trespassing, but kayakers go there all the time. I haven't been yet.
Jekyll Island also sounds nice. I'm don't think Graveyard Island ever had any cool pens. Yet.
A Graveyard Island pen with a frisky little Swing You Sinners style bikini action scene sounds right up my alley!
My god, we should at least make a t-shirt.
COMING SOON: Graveyard Island: The Shirt
Post a Comment