Monday, March 19, 2012

Mad Monsters '61

I'm always on the hunt for anything Vampira related to add to my collection, and recently finding this battered issue of Charlton's Mad Monsters #2 (1961) at a local comic shop for only $5.00 definitely fit the bill! A brief, but incredible 3-page article called "Hollywood's House of Horrors" shows a truly remarkable rental statue of Vampira on display in LA with the usual assortment of Silver Scream legends. The rest of the issue ain't so bad either, featuring one very hilarious 3-page Little Red Riding Hood comic spoof, tons of creepy b/w stills, and a side splitting peek at one of my favorite old B-flicks-- The Thing that Couldn't Die!














7 comments:

Prof. Grewbeard said...

nothing like a monster mag, especially one i hadn't ever had a chance to check out, thanx!

Mr. Karswell said...

I deadicate this post to the memory of Magic Carpet Burn, Prof!

Mina Lobo said...

I LOVE all these pics!!! I always get a kick out of your blogs, I have to say - such an interesting mix of stuff you post! Which leads me to my next point...

Wanted to let you know I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award - I'm pretty sure it's not something recognized by some organized body of blogging professionals, or anything, but it's fun, if you'd like to participate! Check my blog for more info:
Some Dark Romantic

Anonymous said...

Sorry to always be begging, but I'd like to see what this magazine had about Lugosi and Hammer's "Brides of Dracula"! :-)

Mr. Karswell said...

>I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award

Why thank you Mina, I'm very honored by this... while my other blog gets awarded alot, I do believe this is the first time AEET has been. I appreciate the versatile recognition!

>I'd like to see what this magazine had about Lugosi and Hammer's "Brides of Dracula"!

It's pretty much the same old Drac and Bride photos we've all seen a million times over and over, Anon... I tried to showcase the stuff from this issue that hadn't already been covered extentisively by Famous Monsters and the countless other horror film history books etc., thanks for looking!

Drazen said...

Nice find and the comic is terrific particularly the werewolf. who dreweled it?

Mr. Karswell said...

>the comic is terrific particularly the werewolf. who dreweled it?

Wish I knew! No credit given :(