Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Tressy, Mary, & Cricket

I guess it's been a while since I've posted a 60's doll accessory catalog (check the archives for tons more), and this one come from American Character Inc. for their fun fashion doll trio of Tressy, Mary Make-Ur, and Cricket. So ok they're absolutely Barbie 'n friends knock-offs, but that doesn't mean they aren't still adorably sweet in a variety of nicely illustrated images dedicated to this / that years fab fashions! Have to admit though as much as I like the clothes, I dig the hootenanny hairdos more! I also wonder how well those cosmetic and hair coloring kits actually worked?

3 comments:

JMR777 said...

I had never heard of Tressy and her friends, I guess they lived in the shadow of Barbie, sort of like how RC cola lived in the shadow of Pepsi and Coke.

It is interesting to see what was considered fashionable back in the 60's, even if the outfits were for fashion dolls.

Thanks for a glimpse into the past, Karswell.

Mr. Cavin said...

Huh. It is kind of weird to imagine painting a color into my hair. Like with a oil pastel crayon. I mean, I guess I've done it: All those neon spray cans from the eighties were basically the same idea, just with a more modern applicator. But still.

I love all of this. I guess my favorite page is number seven, with all the checks and plaids. I like they way the three women are peeping their own poster on the wall. I like the way the poster models, who are standing indoors, wear sunglasses, while the onlookers, who are presumably outside, do not. It's very vogue.

Brian Barnes said...

Like Mr. Cavin I'm super curious about the mechanics of all of this. "Her hair grows" I suspect there's a lot of hair inside the doll you can pull in and out, but the hair coloring?

It notes it has to be shampooed off so it's some kind of staining material and I could see after a few color changes that hair becoming a solid mass of stone. Guess we need to buy another doll!

This was the 60s the era of Twiggy so everybody is just a super thin clothes rack. Page 5, the shorts and cross hatch shirt look like a space alien's idea of fashion!