Saturday, August 3, 2024

Kindel & Graham Cigarette Dispenser

Another neat old curio recently added to the permanent Karswell Collection is this Kindel & Graham Cigarette Dispenser from late 1920's San Francisco CA. Still in decent shape for being nearly 100 years old, and still works too, apparently, though I have yet to officially test it. Just lift the lid, fill up her head with cigarettes, and when you push the little button on the front near her chin a cig will drop down and then dispense right out from between her circularly pursed lips. I'd show you how it works, but I don't smoke, (of course), so I have no cigs to even load her up with-- wahhhh! Researching her online it appears she came in a variety of head dress styles and assorted, beautiful antique bling attached. Some versions of her "gypsy" face are painted quite differently as well. A few listings also mention her being a "fortune teller" of some kind, but I couldn't begin to tell you how that works here, --hmmm, unless instead of cigarettes, you rolled up little fortunes etched on paper! Yes, I may have to try this, and after I do I will absolutely report back...

6 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Hm. can't quite put my finger on what this reminds me of. It sure is well made, and I love the starfish in her scarf. I'd also like to see a model in the cigar-holder size, please.

JMR777 said...

..."rolled up little fortunes etched on paper!"

That reminded me of the rolled up horoscopes that were sold in convenience stores and dollar stores many years ago. I think they were slightly larger than cigarettes so they may work instead of tobacco filled coffin nails.

And now the mystery-where have you been hiding, wooden lady of time long ago? Were you in an attic, a cellar, or were you the favorite item of a tobacconist put away and forgotten about?
A mystery for the ages.

Brian Barnes said...

The paint job on that thing is really good -- I wonder if somebody restored it? I get the fortune teller part, it does kind of look like a Zoltar (not Zontar, don't google that by mistake!) head dress.

There's a lot of components to this, it couldn't have been a cheap piece at the time.

Mr. Karswell said...

Nothing is restored. It’s all original

JMR777 said...

Out of curiosity, was there anything on the bottom? A label or makers mark perhaps?

This is such a hauntingly amazing item it could feature in a horror tale, or tale of mysterious fiction.

Mr. Karswell said...

There’s nothing on the bottom, all of the info I found online about it is in my introduction