Wednesday, August 28, 2024

The Fairy Tale Art of Lungers Hausen

I've been a huge fan of Lungers Hausen art for many moons, so it was a real thrill to stumble upon these antique wooden stacking / nesting toy blocks from 1930's - 40's Germany recently. All sides are covered with beautifully rendered imagery: mostly animals and random objects, and lots of super cute children playing. But the real gems to me are of course Hausen's terrific flair for fantasy fairy tale art, highlighted by his gorgeous girls and endless eye-popping detail and color combinations. I've showcased a few of my faves below, but there are lots more... Googling "Lungers Hausen Fairy Tale Art" will most certainly make your day if you are not already familiar with all of his wonderful work, utilized in a variety of compelling, playful ways. And for those curious, the blocks are open on the bottoms so they can nest inside one another (see last image below), the stacking comes into play when you place them on top of one another-- natch!


4 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

I absolutely adore that wolf. It's maybe a bit too dog like (yes, I know they are closely related but there is morphic differences) that said, the look, the tongue, the big old paws, the granny sleeping cap. I just want to pet that good boy!

Second favorite is probably the king and what I assume is a princess (note the frog, which I missed earlier.) Don't think she is into kissing that frog today!

Neat stuff which retains it's incredibly vibrant colors.

Mr. Cavin said...

Ooh, I love the creepy scratches on the werewolf panel.

Where did you see these? They sure are a marvelous set. I have also always really loved this work.

JMR777 said...

The artwork reminds me of Hummel figurines, especially the red riding hood image.
An interesting find.

Mr. Karswell said...

Saw them at an antique mall— and totally agree with the Hummel comparison!