Thursday, March 28, 2024

The Wounded Bird

A very popular deco era painter working in 1920's - 30's France was Jean Hardy, aka J. Hardy who, like Louis Icart, produced a dazzling array of beautifully rendered, superbly soft, and feminine works of art during the popular era trend of "boudoir style" illustration. And once again I was lucky enough to be in the right place at just the right time to actually acquire one of Hardy's loveliest signed and hand numbered, original antique framed prints: "L'Oiseau Blesse", or, "The Wounded Bird." It's a gentle winter forest scene, featuring a gorgeous girl in a fur trimmed jacket rescuing a tiny "wounded" bird. The pictures below were taken in my car the day I purchased it, and I assure you, it currently looks incredible on my office wall next to my Horror Hotel '62 theatrical one-sheet, and just above my assorted Aurora model kit and monster mask display...

3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

That's super nice. Lovely winter colors.

Brian Barnes said...

Yeah it's gorgeous. I especially love the wash like detail on her dress, below the coat. That's amazingly light work.

Mr. Karswell said...

I think my favorite detail are those completely inappropriate shoes she has on for winter. It's almost like an intentional bit of story, like she spotted the bird outside her window in trouble and just tossed on her coat and the first pair of shoes she could find and was out the door to the rescue! :)