Thursday, March 7, 2024

Madcap Mannequins!

We've been having a March Mannequin Madness Fest over at THOIA, so I thought, why not have one over here at AEET as well, with a dozen or so funny gags, cover illustrations (and one napkin) highlighting the sillier side of these delightful department store darlings (note how I didn't call 'em "dummies!") These were all taken from various funny publications over the last half century and beyond-- so, enjoy the fine art of window dressing, and the highs and lows of public reaction!

4 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

I get a lot of mileage out of these old cartoons posting on social media.

I love to see collections like this; like the magazines themselves the art is wildly different -- from very professional looking to very amateur looking -- and the thing is -- the joke quality can't be determined from the art quality. I guess that skill isn't necessarily transmittable.

The second one "latest style" is another good example of the goofy man/realistic hot lady art.

I had the ol' sensible chuckle at "is this seat taken."

Mr. Cavin said...

I love the napkin. It was funny and I always dig two-color designs. I also quite like the wild art style on the Sex to Sexty cover at the bottom. But I think my favorite cartoon is the Fun Parade cover at the top, since it actually made me stop and think. The recursion in the idea that those selling femininity are prey to the very reductive views they engineer feels kinda profound.

Mr. Karswell said...

I have enough of these for a few more posts if anyone's interested just let me know!
As always, thanks for the comments :)

Mr. Cavin said...

Post away! I'd be delighted to see more of these.