Tuesday, October 3, 2023

12th Annual Dennison's Bogie Book (1924)

I was originally saving this booklet to post a little closer to Hallowe'en, but then thought, damn, it's so full of great info and ideas that some of you more horrifically haunted, antique Hallowe'eners might appreciate the extra time to totally prepare and pull off some of the amazing, 100 year old holiday hijinx of costume, games, stunts, and decorations featured in the following pages. I mean, it's not every day that you can actually get your hands on one of these incredibly rare, and gorgeously illustrated Dennison Bogie Books from the 1920's, but here it is in its entirety, and as far as I can tell after my quick google search it's never been posted online in any sort of COMPLETE form anywhere else (I suppose I could be wrong though.) A few of the pages unfortunately have scribbles on them from a previous owner, and as you approach the end there's even some great Thanksgiving themes featured, so please enjoy every single page. 

Yes, October 2023 at AEET has just begun, stay tombed for lots more Hallowe'en fun to come...

5 comments:

JMR777 said...

Great ideas for All Hallows then and now.
The scribbles are not too bad, they add charm and character to this book.

Brian Barnes said...

I completely charmed by some of the items you can order on the last 2 pages; H680 pumpkin, I love that look, and the H655 witch is pretty shifty!

The H29 place card pumpkin with ... rat? bat? small sized cat? Is super cute!

While the cover is great, I think my favorite piece is the contents page; I love the overly thin and elongated house, the negative space ghost, and the witch on the other side. The limbs and black cats are super spooky, and the chimney if a clever use of blacks. What a great piece!

Mr. Cavin said...

Along with H680, I also like the jack o'lantern place card (H29) with the small... animal... on it. But what I most love is that sexy party centerfold with all the costumed celebrants. The lady with the spider webs, the child of the corn, the small... animal. The jack o'lantern decorations have cats for eyes and bats for mouths. That's just marvelous.

JMR777 said...

Come to think of it, these pictures were precursors for the Halloween images found in Jack and Jill and Humpty Dumpty magazines during the month of October.

Tom said...

Wow! I'd love to get my hands on a Bogie book. Great find!
I love that they specify the shades are for "electric lights". Don't put these on your gas burners, folks!