Saturday, August 12, 2023

Topps Far-Out 70's Iron-Ons

We're getting close to back-to-school days again, and what's the most important thing a kid needs on those first few, impressionable weeks of daily drudgery whilst making new friends in the mid 70's? That's right-- iron-on tee decals! How else are you gonna let that cute new girl two lockers over know that you're into monsters, hot rods, kung fu, or streaking?! Yep, you need an "in", aka the perfecto conversation starter, --something that really shows 'em all just who and what you're all about! Are you hot stuff? Or are you revolting? Topps knew the score by dishing out the grooviest idea next to non-sport trading cards-- The Far-Out Iron-Ons series! There were two sets in all, (12 diff designs each) and I've managed to acquire 18 of the 24 from both the red and blue packs combined. But woe is me, so close, yet still so far-- arghh!! And hey, does anyone recognize some of the artists here? Don't be a chicken, or a jive turkey now, --tell us who you think!

 

6 comments:

Greg said...

These are amazing! It's like everything great about the 70s culture in 12 pics.

Brian Barnes said...

I love all the different art styles; I suspect Topps put together this collection from existing art. You can spot some styles and figure out which unknown artist did what.

This seems like it had to be one of the greatest jobs in America. What do we draw today? Crazy trading cards? Wacky Packages? Monster mash? Who knows, but you get to let your imagination run wild!

I was made for the "I'm hot stuff" one!

I think drop dead is my favorite; I like the get up and/or lounging zombie, and I especially like the completely packed collection of gravestones behind him (were people buried standing up?) Also -- custom lettering -- all the Ds are different. Nice!

Mr. Cavin said...

I think I'da looked particularly dashing in that King of the Road shirt back when I was sixteen years old and hanging out at the junior lockers with the rest of my delinquent friends. I'd dearly love to have that ECCCH! shirt, too. Or maybe take that lass who's wearing it out for a Sunday drive in my burnt orange Mercury Cyclone.

But now that I've aged into my ironic phase, all I really want is a ringer tee printed with those iron-on instructions.

JMR777 said...

I somehow missed these while growing up in the 70's.

Monster Mash, King of the Road, Drop Dead, Here's Looking At You, I'm Hot Stuff (it's a bit odd to see a green devil, unless he is a demon) all are Horrorary members of the THOIA T-shirt collection.


Dracula For President, sadly he is ineligible to run since he wasn't born in the US.


The Spirits of 76! Dracula, the wolfman and Frankenstein, the monarchs of monsterdom on one T-shirt!


Great stuff as always Karswell, thanks!

Mr. Karswell said...

Contemplating actually transferring a few of these onto some blank vintage ringer tees for my son... I will document this project after I find some worthy old shirts. Stay tombed... and thanks for the comments!

Tom said...

I love Bicentennial stuff and I love monsters. That Sprits of 76 iron on is right up my alley.