Saturday, August 5, 2023

Soaky from the Black Lagoon

I mean, what else needs to be said about the Colgate - Palmolive / Univeral Pictures Creature from the Black Lagoon Soaky from the 60's? Seriously. Look at him standing there, menacingly holding his fresh catch of the day in hands that possibly possess way too many fingers, ruby red lipstick matching his rockin' red eyeliner. Yes indeed, it was cool enough owning the rad glow-in-the-dark repo from Super7, but now to also have an original simply sends me me over la goon-- err-- la moon! And just because it's the most incredible vintage commercial of all time, CLICK HERE for the classic animated TV spot for The Creature and Mummy Soakys! Oh yeah, I have the Mummy Soaky too, remember? CLICK HERE to remember...

3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

First of all, that's a great find. I love the Creech Soaky, from that perfect aqua coloration to the crazy facial mold. I mean, this is as great as off-model gets. With all that fish skin detailing and his ruby red makeover, this Creature looks more like some Mesoamerican death's head sculpture. I'd really like a very faithful mask reproduction of this sculpt.

Brian Barnes said...

I don't know if I would have noticed the finger count being strange!

It's a really cool piece; though I have to wonder what the modeler was thinking when the original model was made. Did they add the fish so there would be a splash of color?

The problem with the creature is he is pretty monochromatic. In a black and white movie, that's not a big concern, but you need to do something on a toy to make him stand out a bit more (like the mummy had a green head/hands/snake.) I suspect that's why the orange fish (which sticks out great against the yellow ... tummy scales ... I guess you'd call them.

Regardless, congratulations on getting a holy grail!

Mr. Karswell said...

Thank you! :)