Saturday, August 26, 2023

School Silhouettes

I found this gorgeously illustrated, unused 1930's memory scrapbook, coincidentally enough, the same week my son started back to school. These were obviously in fashion long ago, waaaay before we could psychotically document every single second of our lives on a social media platform. I have to admit, this old timey approach has much more appeal to me these days, and as you scroll below, you'll understand how everything is greatly enhanced by the shapely silhouette figures illustrated by M. Farin (?) on each and every page within. What were the snappiest scenes and sayings of the day? What was your motto? Who'd you love? Hate? Did you join any secret societies? Any big moments occur? (Keep it clean, please!) I'm actually kind of bummed this scrapbook is unused, because seeing a stranger's handwritten thoughts from nearly 100 years ago can be just as interesting as long, silhouetted legs reaching into the air. Hey, why not print these out, bind 'em up, and 23 skidoo your own memories for this 2023-24 school year!

5 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

That's a really wild hand-lettered style. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's fun and open and really inconsistent. All the silhouettes are just great, as you say; my fave being the archery cosplay on the second athletic page. That penultimate animal attack page is a close second, though. Big tortoise is locked on target!

JMR777 said...

I had no luck in finding out who the silhouette artist is, though I did discover the C R Gibson Co. is still in business and still offers journals for sale.

Brian Barnes said...

Maybe the lady that owned the book was in a secret society, but she blabbed it and well, let's just say she isn't around anymore to write in the book!

As a kid drawing comics in school instead of studying, I did about everything in those balloon type letters, but the words were usually just "boom" or "crash."

Man, the "i love" "i hate" page would have been a fun, and possibly depressing, one to read!

Mr. Karswell said...

>Big tortoise is locked on target!

LOL! Tortoise beats hare!

>I had no luck in finding out who the silhouette artist is

I appreciate the effort none the less, JMR!

<possibly depressing

Quite possibly a Great Depression! yuck yuck!

Emily J said...

I just found the same silhouette scrapbook that my great aunt had filled out in 1935! Filled with sayings, clippings and photos. Really fun.