Tuesday, August 29, 2023

1900's Perpetual Desk Calendar

I meant to show you the antique perpetual desk calendar that goes with the old time clock that I found last week. This handy contraption is a bit older than the clock, and apparently produced around the early 1900's. And like any type of calendar worth its weight in gold, it contains the name of the month, day of the week, and the essential numeral date, all of which you can easily manipulate into place by simply turning the roller dials located on both sides of the main body (--as you can see below, I have already preset mine on my favorite day of the year!) It is indeed a fine piece of old fashioned craftsmanship, nearly 5 inches tall, and covered in some type of leathery embossed paper which is glued to the wood frame. It will eventually look amazing on my desk, as I continue onward with the slow re-vamping of my not-so-new, but greatly improved office space.

3 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

Friday is such an excellent day to throw a Halloween!

Love the calendar. That Nouveau tooling on the façade is super.

Brian Barnes said...

That's a really cool piece, I don't think I've seen something like a mechanic calendar that is material bound before! I would have swore that was metal on a quick look.

JMR777 said...

Leathery embossed paper? I would have guessed it was made of leather from the picture.
This truly is a treasure since so few paper items from long ago survived to the present day.

I could almost picture this as a haunted or enchanted antique allowing its owner to travel back in time by turning the dials backwards. Maybe such a calendar inspired H G Wells to create his tale The Time Machine.