Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Waste Basket Boutique

If you enjoyed the cute kitten fashion mascot of our last post, get ready for the sugary sweet, heart melting powerhouse that is a 1960's paint your own, Waste Basket Boutique, paper children's dress from Mars of Asheville! More fantastic packaging illustration and very groovy hand lettering, this was another un-used find I discovered buried under a mound of magazines at a dingy old antique mall last week. Disposable dress fashion was quite popular during this era, and these things have become quite collectable, --there's even a wonderful exhibit about them currently going on in NYC, info HERE. So what would you paint on the dress if it was yours as a fun lovin' little kid? And before anyone asks, yes, you all know that I'd put it on and model it for you guys, but I'm no longer a size 10-12... wah!

2 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

I know you need to mess with it first but, I'm sorry, and piece of clothes that becomes "dangerously flammable", i.e., it'll become Dresden, 1945 if you walk out into the sun is probably something to avoid!

I do like the cut chalk like art!

Mr. Cavin said...

Oh this is cool. I've never heard of these before, but they came from Mars Hill, just (three hours) down the road from where I grew up. I've spent a little while looking at pix online, but all I can find are print patterns--and not one instance of someone painting their own designs on the dress like the copy says.

But the first thing I imagined when you asked was a word cloud collage in the style of those hand-lettered daily specials signs all the the grocery stores had before the eighties, with their drop-shadowed chubby dollar signs and futuristic starbursts and stuff. 🟄USDA Choice Ground Chuck ONLY $1.39 per lb!🟄