Sunday, January 9, 2022

S-t-r-e-t-c-h & Sew ('67)

It may have started out a bit before my time in the early to mid 60's (I was born in '68), but I remember this groovy form of magnificent Mary Tyler Moore / Rhoda fashion staying pretty hip well into the sizzlin' 70's. Just flip through Ann Person's wonderfully illustrated, The Stretch & Sew Sewing Book (1967) and see for yourself! Loaded with 150+ pages of clear and easy to follow instructions on how to put together an awesome outfit, from casual to classy, business to bikini, and with entries on basic principles, as well as facts about fabrics. My favorite thing about this book though, as usual, are all of the gorgeous chapter header page illustrations. I'm not finding an artist credit anywhere in the book though, possibly these are by Ann herself? 

7 comments:

Slayla said...

Absolutely beautiful illustrations! Fantastic post thank you!

Mr. Karswell said...

Now I’m on the hunt for more of her books too! Super love this stuff

Mr. Cavin said...

I dig it. There certainly some tres chic going on here (that bespectacled olive Oyl in the last illo is way too cool for the Thimble Theater). There's most definitely lot of Rhoda going on here, too. I think the art looks kind of Argentinian--just look at all those Italian fashion model faces, or the hot legs on that sex macchine in the first scan--but lots of commercial artists were trying to draw just that way, especially five to ten years later.

I hope you find some more.

Mr. Karswell said...

If I find more, you’ll see ‘em right here on AEET!

Craftypants Carol said...

Wow these images are so cool! I really love the chick with the pony tail in the 3rd pic from the bottom.

I am a little bummed there’s no business bikini tho.

Brian Barnes said...

I wonder if these were traced in some manner? They look like the poses lifted from sources outside of your regular fashion drawing (some of the poses are really dynamic.). The art is fantastic, no taking away anything from it. I swear I've seen a reference picture for parts of page 4 and page 8.

Mr. Karswell said...

>I am a little bummed there’s no business bikini tho.

That should totally be on a tee shirt or bumper sticker!

>I swear I've seen a reference picture for parts of page 4 and page 8

Of course you have...

okay, up next we're heading' to TX for some ungodly reason, stay tuned if you want