Monday, November 29, 2010

Gypsy Huggers vs. Chill Chasers (IN COLOR!)

Back in the early 70's I pitched a live-action TV show concept to Sid & Marty Krofft about two rival highschool girl gangs that, every week, try to "out-crochet" each other. To death. Potential PILOT SYNOPSIS: Honky Tonk and Hippy Dippy attempt to lure Mindy Mittens into their gang with a seductive variation of the "Pass-Slip-Stitch-Over" technique, thus defying everything the Chill Chaser's sensai has taught them. A valuable lesson is revealed once the No. 9 knitting needles start to fly! For a variety of frustratingly illogical reasons my show didn't get the green light (ahead of its time?) ...but here are some rare, never-before-seen photos from my own production style-guide files, reminding us all of what could have been (or what could be? I am still open to offers!)











 (BABY BOOTIES, from the very special "abortion" episode.)






















After Sid & Marty balked on my pitch,  I took the idea to Hanna Barbera where it seemed to stir a mild bit of interest, um, as long as a dog was added to the cast (see last two photos above.) Unfortunately...

8 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

Karswell: You clever so-and-so, you made me laugh out loud with this one. You are most definitely ahead of your time.

Lori said...

continuing to rule, you are...

Kitty LeClaw said...

I'll take your entire catalog of Chill Chasers, please!

Mr. Cavin said...

Sheesh. Get those kids behind a butter churn where they belong.

Mr. Karswell said...

>You are most definitely ahead of your time.

Or hopelessly trapped in the past... whichever is more fun and/or pathetic.

>continuing to rule, you are...

thanks LL!

>I'll take your entire catalog of Chill Chasers, please!

What size, small or mewdium? Hey, tell Ben I wanna learn some campfire songs on the guitar.

>Get those kids behind a butter churn where they belong.

Or get 'em on The Gong Show-- where they REALLY belong!

Sometime in 2011 I'll reveal another one of my failed TV show pitches so you can all continue to point and laugh at me. Thanks for the comments!

Unknown said...

My grandma would have loved your show! She made me many items that looked like the pictures above.

Mr. Karswell said...

>My grandma would have loved your show!

Ahh, if only I hadn't just made the whole thing up last Monday...

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David