Saturday, September 14, 2024

Vampy the Bat

I was driving up to Wisconsin a few days ago and in a bit of a rush. But as I passed a certain store visible right off the exit I had a peculiar, premonition feeling come over me, so I quickly did a U-turn. Entering this small establishment certainly paid off, and within the first 5 minutes inside I had found an affordably gorgeous nude art deco statue, two different complete decks of 60's adult playing cards (that I surprisingly didn't already have), a super 70's Frederick's of Hollywood catalog, and this gem of a late 50's / early 60's Collegeville Halloween costume-- VAMPY THE BAT! Researching Vampy online shows that Collegeville clearly loved the name of this costume, because they released it over and over again in the following years but with different bat designs. I dig how colorful this one is though, looking more like an evil Japanese demon oni mask than anything else. The frock smock design is pretty cute too, but over the years the glitter coated fabric has become a bit brittle and needless to say, I'm still finding glitter everywhere (and on me even!) 2 days later... 

47 days until Halloween!

5 comments:

JMR777 said...

Vampy looks like one of those unique vampires from a Mexihorror flick or seen in Archie's Madhouse.

The drum majorette, witch, devil, spaceman and clown on the lid are a nice touch. They were not essential to the box, but added a charming 1950's-1960's look.




Caffeinated Joe said...

A really awesome find! It is beautiful.

Brian Barnes said...

That is in excellent condition. It looks a lot more cat like to me, but then that's what the smock is for! Those colors are amazingly vibrant for it's age.

Looking forward to posts on the other finds!

Mr. Cavin said...

Yeah man, the colors on this thing are just great. I'm sure the glitter frock sounded like a good idea on paper, and I really love the sort of pie-plate roundness of the mask.

Can't wait to see pictures of all that other stuff, too. What a great trip to Wisconsin! Did you make it to the Circus World Museum in Baraboo?

Mr. Karswell said...

I saw the brochure for Circus World, but honestly, anything after House on the Rock (which was also loaded with circus stuff) just seemed like it would pale in comparison. My only other real plan besides antiquing on the drive up there and back, was to see the Rick Nielsen guitar collection in Rockford... which was also awesome.