Saturday, January 24, 2015

Lady Catherine: Program of Beauty

Who's the guy spending grueling, back-breaking hours at antique malls digging around through endless piles of paper stuff just to unearth a gem like today's Lady Catherine Program of Beauty? Me, that's who! Seriously, I was just about done with this one vendor booth of monotonous, endless, mound after mound of Coke ads and Betty Boop baloney, --when suddenly, like a ray of shining light from make-believe heaven, I saw her! Yes, lovely Lady Catherine staring back at me, --ummm, with her eyes closed, --but I could tell this oversized booklet was going to be a winner. And indeed it is. Page after perfectly pretty page of superb illustration, elegant design, lettering, color combinations, and sweetly simple, understated product packaging. Even if it all smells like some low rent Avon wannabe, I sure do love the look of everything here!










8 comments:

J_D_La_Rue_67 said...

I remember "Stanhome". it was (is?) an evil, international organization, a sort of Spectre for cosmetics and household products.
Its corrupting power could turn your mom's best friend and even your aunt or cousin in a subtle and insidious saleswoman, though I must admit the quality of its stuff was pretty good.
Nice illustrations in 60's Reader's Digest style, lovely vintage packaging. Where have those aluminium toothpaste tubes gone?

Mr. Karswell said...

I suppose they're clogging up landfills somewhere... did anyone recycle in the 60's?

Crafty C said...

Oh man this is fab!

I love the illustrated bottles and the lady in the bath! And those great gold lipstick tubes. Also those pointy nails are hilarious.

Mr. Karswell said...

Reminds me of a favorite poem of mine:

"A'pointy nails, a'pointy pointy,
A'scratch my back, a'scratchy scratchy."

J_D_La_Rue_67 said...

Literary Avant-garde?

Mr. Karswell said...

Man with Two Brains silliness

Mr. Cavin said...

Like those kind of groovy wet-paper color patterns in the backgrounds here and there. Surely they used a blow dryer to quickly set the paint, preserving all the bubbles from the quick, soft brushing. It's not a technique you often see used to fill negative space like this. I think it works well.

Mr. Karswell said...

However they did it, it looks fab! :)

Thanks for the comments!