Thursday, June 6, 2013

Weird Wheels

Annoyed by the amount of low resolution website scans of this great Topps trading card series from 1980, I took it upon myself to scan in my own set at a higher dpi than usual and give the awesome WEIRD WHEELS car collection the detail attention that it deserves. I was 12 when these cards first came out, and good god I was OBSESSED with them-- still am! Each and every one would look amazing on a tee shirt; Topps should have thought of that, and if they did I wish they had told me! Maybe I'll make my own... anyway, all 55 cards are here (sorry, I forgot to scan the checklist!) and they are sort of semi in order. To save on scan time I just tried to keep the landscape lay-out styles together and threw all the portraits at the end. And if anyone is curious, when putting together the puzzle on the cardbacks it creates the image of card #1: The Hunchback of Notre Drag. For more interesting tidbits about this set plus Norm Saunders and Gary Hallgren artistic info, click HERE. Enjoy!








14 comments:

TwoHeadedBoy said...

Fantastic! Never seen these before, now I'm craving them!

Hard to pick a favourite out of Loco-Motive, The Blobb or Boo-Ick. Or Blackhound.

Ron Rochondo said...

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crafty C said...

man - these are so cool! i can't believe i never got into these. i seriously love the Boo-Ick and the Blackhound and the Old Old Olds and the Bad Humor Truck. but man - there's so freaking many cool ones!

totally epic!

Mr. Karswell said...

My faves are Model TnT, Crash Cobra, Hot Rabbit, and anything else with a monster at the wheel! The motorcycles are kick ass too-- Hell, they all are!

KW said...

I loved these as a kid, and still have them in a drawer somewhere. I was always partial to Cyclops Cycle.

Mr. Cavin said...

Wow, these are seriously the stone coolest. I don't know how I missed them. I was a fan of stuff that came before and after, but I never saw these at all.

Faves include the incredibly clever Slab Cab, the Old Old Olds and the Screamin' Demon, and the hilarious Killdozer. And the Howlin' Wolf, of course.

Brian Barnes said...

Topps was just rocking it in the 80s. These, wacky packages, garbage pail kids, dinosaur attacks, etc.

I don't know why, but I was always partial to the crazy stick shift placement in these, like Vampire Van or Old Old Olds.

If I had to pick one, Bone Dragger or Punk Junk. Great set!

Mr. Karswell said...

I've got more of these cool hot rod and cycle cards sets but this is the only collection that's complete... I did just notice on facebook that there's a group devoted to the awesome SILLY CYCLES series here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.206295456064976.59109.206283346066187&type=3

machinelf said...

Amazing. I can't believe I didn't have these... I subscribed to CarTOONS!

Mike Tayse said...

I have a small stack of old Cartoons and Hot Rod Cartoons magazines, but never saw these. Thanks for posting them, they're great!

Mr. Karswell said...

My pleasure, thanks for stopping by!

baleen said...

Memories. I had many of these as a kid along with wacky packs. Made my day.

Anonymous said...

Kudos from Caracas,

Ze

Lou Mareno said...

Man now that brings back some wild memories,thx for posting these Wild Cards