Monday, June 3, 2013

Gay Teen Ideas & Happy Endings

If you stumbled over here to AEET while googling a different kind of gay teen, then yeah, you might be on the wrong blog-- but don't run away too quickly because maybe knitting and crocheting is still your thing! Hey, maybe you even enjoy fun photography of cute 1940's teens drinking pop, playing records, or skiing and bowling? Maybe, just maybe, you enjoy fantastic tiny illustrations and jazz tempo writing too, as nearly every text entry on each page contains a serious amount of genius wordplay, example: "The sun is shinin', the band is playin' and you're right on the beam in your jerkin that keeps 'em perkin'." Maybe you're on a beam in your perkin that keeps 'em jerkin' --ummm, either way this tattered instructional craft magazine I found at the antique mall recently for $2 is a excellent glimpse into what The Spool Cotton Company of NY thought war time era kids were flippin' for in '44. (If anyone wants the directions for making anything pictured here too, just drop me a line and I'll send you the scans as featured in the last half of this mag.) So here's lookin' at you, Toots, it's time to be pretty for when Freddy comes marchin' home!




















13 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

Is it just me, or did all teens before the late 50s look like they were 27?

There's nothing better than "cutting a rug" to the latest up-tempo big band cuts while dressed in a wool suit!

Mr. Karswell said...

It's just you Brian, I actually find these gals to be quite fetching, despite my heavy metal upbringing I would certainly choose a knitted wool lass over one in a Venom tee, believe it or not

Crafty C said...

wow - there's just so much stuff packed into this thing here i don't even know where to start.

maybe i'll start by saying it's a good thing you didn't add "Happy Endings" to your title too. heh.

so, um, yeah - even though i knew it was coming the beam and the jerkin and perkin made me giggle like a schoolgirl in a dilly of a beanie. holy crap - wtf are these people talking about?????

slipper, slipper. who's got the slipper???

a pipperoo of a drawstring bag???

the goin steady kind just made for suits and reefers?

and my fave "Glamour-minded rug cutters please note the definitely P.M. neck-line, low and square." um, yeah. real low.

damn - this is hilarious. to be honest i dont think i really ever read the text in these old craft books and man - this one is a real pipperoo.

but on a serious note - i really do dig the knit ski stuff with the embroidery on it. that's really cool.

man - thanks for making me laugh first thing in the am!

Mr. Karswell said...

>maybe i'll start by saying it's a good thing you didn't add "Happy Endings" to your title too. heh.

TOO LATE!

Mr. Karswell said...

Come hitherish black velvet ribbons-- or make it in cherry and whee what a flutter you raise at your next party-- indeed!

Crafty C said...

wait! did you just add that? or did i not see it? holy shit - it's too early for Happy Endings jokes!!

i also neglected to mention that i love the little cartoon girlies - but what's up with the one carrying the sword around?

Unknown said...

Hey, gay teens have the right to wear come hitherish black ribbons too!
I have to admit, I much prefer this look to the "let it all hang out" look of modern times.

Mr. Karswell said...

>wait! did you just add that? or did i not see it?

Of course I just added it-- you asked for it! haha

>Hey, gay teens have the right to wear come hitherish black ribbons too!

No complaints from me, black velvet definitely raises the whee to more than just flutter status

Crafty C said...

ha! well, you know what a space cadet i am.

thank you for being so accommodating!!! i think the title really flows now!

Mr. Karswell said...

see how the whee status flows now!

Brian Barnes said...

@Karswell: It's just you Brian, I actually find these gals to be quite fetching, despite my heavy metal upbringing I would certainly choose a knitted wool lass over one in a Venom tee, believe it or not

I think that's not a "preference" but a "fetish" :)

Mr. Karswell said...

Actually I could less what she's wearing-- it's what's underneath that counts most!

Mr. Cavin said...

I can't decide if I think this book would have seemed as risque in the forties as it does to me now. When they say the sweater will keep them perkin, or that the ride might make him dizzy, it all seems very much like the message is clear. It definitely reads like it was written by some pre-soxer William S. Burroughs. And, if so, was that writer trying to put one adult message over on the teens, or slip one past the parents?

Either way, I couldn't love this more. Excellent post! The writing is definitely tied with the excellent photos for my favorite thing here. I'll pass it along to my knitting friends, too.